AUSTRALIAN NON-TOXIC AWARD
GOLD & PEOPLE’S CHOICE ROSETTE WINNER – Eco-Innovation Category
Onya – Reusable Mesh Produce Bags
Excellent. Fully recycled rPET
Social Responsibility Summary:
- Ethically sourced – all raw materials responsibly procured and certified recycled by the Global Recycled Standard
- Ethically Made – all manufacturing partners are regularly audited by an independent 3rd party to ensure their workers are paid a living wage, have access to resources & have fair and safe working conditions
- Sustainable Packaging (post-consumer recycled material and printed with plant based inks suitable for both recycling or composting)
- FDA Approved for food contact safety
- B Corp Certified – advocate for ethical and sustainable business practices
- All orders shipped in single use plastic free FSC certified paper based packaging that can be recycled after use
- 1% for the Planet Member – 1% of all retail sales goes toward environmental non profits
- Part of the Circular Economy (using recycled materials, all reusable products also fully recyclable)
- Vegan Friendly
- Through support of customers purchasing Onya products, 19.54 tonnes of plastic waste was diverted from landfill in 2018. Since 2004, through the sale of Onya shopping bags it is estimated that 19,030,384 single use plastic shopping bags have been avoided and diverted from the waste stream
“Onya produce bags have been an absolute game changer for me in my battle against using single use plastics. I would remember my reusable supermarket bags, however I often fell victim to using paper bags which would split or single use plastic bags in the fruit and vegetable section of the supermarket. Never again. These produce bags are amazing.
Onya Produce Bags are firstly so easy to remember. They come in a little coloured pouch with a carabiner clip which I clip to my bag. The pouch fits 8 produce bags so I never need to use anything else. The bags themselves are see through so that a shop assistant can see exactly what is inside, they have a drawstring so that nothing falls out and they weigh only 10 grams which means that you can use them on the scales. They are also strong and can hold up to 2kg of produce each, they allow water through so that you can wash produce whilst in them and are also super easy to wash and dry.
I can’t even think how many single use plastic bags I have saved from landfill since these produce bags came into my life. I can’t recommend them more highly.”
“Reusable produce bags are a wonderful idea. These ones come in a hand little bag that can clip to your trolley / pram / hand bag etc. I found them to be really soft as they have a light open mesh to be able to see what’s inside easily. They have a drawstring to close and pack up small in their little carrier bag. Fantastic that they are made from recycled plastic drink bottles! A great product, helping our environment in so many ways.
Size: 5 bags. 10 grams each. 30cm x 25cm. Holds up to 2kg of produce
Type: Food bag
Design intent: Designed to be reused. Say goodbye to single use plastics. Certified B Corporation
Material: Recycled plastic bottles. BPA free
Australian Owned / Operated: Yes
Australian Made: No. Designed in Australia.
“When Woollies and Coles claimed to have “banned plastic bags” I got a bit of a bee in my bonnet, because, well – they didn’t. There are still clearly hanging rolls of plastic produce bags on the corner of every aisle in the fruit and veg section. I stopped using those plastic bags quite a few years back now, instead opting for my apples and tomatoes to free ball it in the trolley. Which meant I often lost a few between the supermarket and my fruit bowl.
Well, not anymore. These little produce bags are so simple, I’m not sure why I didn’t invent them myself. I felt so proud taking them into the organic store and placing my carrots, potatoes, apples and more into them. They don’t weight anything, so they don’t affect weights at the till. They’re easy to wash and they fit snugly into a tiny little bag that fits snugly in my handbag. I’m not sure why the whole world isn’t using them. 10/10!”
“I LOVE these mesh bags. When I buy fresh produce, I use the mesh bags instead of plastic or paper bags. When I get home, I dice up certain veggies like cauliflower & broccoli, I keep the stems to grate into fried rice & stir fry dishes, but first, all non-organics are soaked in a big bowl with a 3-4 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda. This works to remove the pesticides from growing & then I dry the produce on a tea towel in the dish rack. Once dry I pop the veggies back into the mesh bags for easy storage in the fridge. I much prefer mesh to another container bag as it allows my produce to breathe. I also love that the bags are the ideal size for a family or 4 to store several days’ worth of produce in each bag, it just makes cooking & meal prep so much easier to have all the produce ready to use & without plastic – highly recommended!”
“These are the bomb; I have used on every grocery trip since they arrived. I love the little carry pouch they come with so I can keep it in my handbag.”