AUSTRALIAN NON-TOXIC AWARD
FINALIST – Children’s Drink Bottle Category
Klean Kanteen – Kids Stainless Steel Water Bottle
Excellent. 18/8 Stainless Steel, Silicone, Polypropylene
Social Responsibility Summary:
• Create highly durable, long lasting products – Klean Coat finish which is 4x more durable and chip resistant. This was created through a GreenScreen For SaferChemicals® assessment and contains no ingredients that adversely affect people or the environment.
• Interchangeable lids to make products more versatile so that less need to be purchased.
• Manufacturing operations meet high standards of quality (ISO 9001 & ISO/TS 16949), safe and fair labour, ethical business, and environmental responsibility (ISO 14001).
• Klean Kanteen staff are given 24 hours of volunteer time annually to support diverse nonprofits in the community.
• Certified B Corp
• 1% For The Planet member – Klean has given $2.7M to various NGO’s via 1% for the Planet since 2008.
• Support organisations doing vital work in areas of: plastic pollution, safe consumer products, land & water conservation, environmental stewardship.
• Partner with 5 Gyres, a global leader in the effort to research aquatic plastic pollution—and advocate for and restore healthy, plastic-free oceans.
• Support the Breast Cancer Prevention Partners mission to eliminate environmental toxins that have been linked to breast cancer.
• Partner with Environmental Working Group
• In 2020, Klean will be certified “Climate Neutral” via a 3rd party certification, much like 1% FTP and BCorp.
“Klean Kanteen’s Kids drink bottle has lots of great features. It is narrow at the neck and light weight making it easy for even a toddler to hold. It is also colourful and fun with a non-toxic, highly durable coating. It has an electro-polished interior with rounded edges making for easy cleaning inside the bottle. The top has a wide opening which can fit ice cubes and it comes with an attached lid to stop the mouth piece from getting dirty.
I do however feel this fantastic bottle is let down by it’s cap (which is interchangeable with Klean Kanteen’s whole range, so there are definitely ways to make this bottle work for you if you feel the same!) The cap isn’t completely leak proof and will dribble a bit if left on it’s side. The spout is quite firm to pull up which would be difficult for a younger child and also requires a child to touch the mouth piece with their hand which might transfer germs. Given the spout is pretty firm, I wouldn’t feel comfortable advising my child do it with their teeth. Unfortunately, the easy cleaning also doesn’t translate to the cap. With no direct hole through the spout from underneath the cap, it is not possible to use a cleaning brush effectively. Having a black spout, it also means that you won’t pick up mould as quickly.
My children are completely drawn to this bottle’s easy hold shape and colourful, fun exterior. As soon as your child can handle a free flow of water, I recommend swapping to the stainless steel and bamboo cap for an unbeatable combination. Then you’ve truly got yourself a winner.”