AUSTRALIAN NON-TOXIC AWARD
FINALIST – Eco-Innovation Category
Onya – Reusable Bread Bag
Excellent. Fully recycled rPET
Social Responsibility Summary:
- Ethically sourced – all raw materials responsibly procured and certified recycled by the Global Recycled Standard
- Ethically Made – all manufacturing partners are regularly audited by an independent 3rd party to ensure their workers are paid a living wage, have access to resources & have fair and safe working conditions
- Sustainable Packaging (post-consumer recycled material and printed with plant based inks suitable for both recycling or composting)
- FDA Approved for food contact safety
- B Corp Certified – advocate for ethical and sustainable business practices
- All orders shipped in single use plastic free FSC certified paper based packaging that can be recycled after use
- 1% for the Planet Member – 1% of all retail sales goes toward environmental non profits
- Part of the Circular Economy (using recycled materials, all reusable products also fully recyclable)
- Vegan Friendly
- Through support of customers purchasing Onya products, 19.54 tonnes of plastic waste was diverted from landfill in 2018. Since 2004, through the sale of Onya shopping bags it is estimated that 19,030,384 single use plastic shopping bags have been avoided and diverted from the waste stream
“The Onya Reusable Bread Bag is so easy to take to a bakery and allows you to avoid having to use a single use plastic or paper bag. It is big enough to fit over the cutting machine for sliced bread and it folds down, secured by a metal clip, to adapt the size and reduce the air flow once it is filled, keeping its contents fresh and making a handle for easy and stylish carrying. Being double lined, it is also the perfect bag to freeze homemade bread in and will keep it perfect and safe from freezer burn for 3 months.
These bread bags are made from a strong, durable, woven material which is breathable and therefore not designed to increase the life of bread on a kitchen bench. I found this bag so easy to use and have used it at the bakery, taken it along to picnics and in the freezer. It fits what it is designed for and works so well that you wouldn’t even think about using anything else.
Amazingly this product is made from up to 10 recycled drink bottles and still continues to save even more single use plastic through its use! It truly is a wonderful and versatile eco innovation. If you buy or freeze bread, I highly recommend this product.”
“We love this bread bag! After converting to freshly made bread we needed a way to pick it up from the bakery and store it in the cupboard. Despite not being designed to extend the life of the bread we find it certainly does. The roll top and the clip ensure air is removed from the bag helping to keep the bread fresh. It’s easy to clean and great to know it is made using recycled products.
Size: 43cm x 27.5cm. Fits most standard size loaf types
Type: Food bag
Design intent: Designed to be reused. Say goodbye to single use plastics. Certified B Corporation
Material: BPA free. Freezer safe. Washable. 100% recycled drink bottles – rPET
Australian Owned / Operated: Yes
Australian Made: No. Designed in Australia.
“This is an awesome little bag – my husband has been taking it to the bakery to place sliced bread in and bring home. We’ve been keeping it on the side and in the freezer to store the loaf. I love how you can roll the bag down and clip it according to how much bread is left inside. Lovely colour and design too!”
“This bread bag is top quality & nice & are so you can collect your bread from the bake house & avoid using disposable packaging. I make my own bread at home so I was keen to see how this bag helps to keep my home-made bread nice & fresh. As the weather heats up, I can’t leave me bread on the counter as I normally do – in a basket with a tea towel on top. If I leave it like this during Spring/Summer the bread can grow mould within days so I end up putting it in the fridge. I found that the bag does help to keep my bread fresh, I simply fold the bag so that no air can get in & the bag is insulated so it protects the bread form the heat that normally triggers mould to grow. Awesome bread bag, highly recommended!”
“I am a first-time user of these and am truly transformed. I love how compactible they are when not being used too.”