AUSTRALIAN NON-TOXIC AWARD
FINALIST – Lunchbox Category
Klean Kanteen – Insulated Food Canister
Excellent. 18/8 Food Grade Stainless Steel. Lid – 18/8 Stainless Steel, Polypropylene, Recycled Cardboard
Social Responsibility Summary:
- Manufacturing operations meet high standards of quality (ISO 9001 & ISO/TS 16949), safe and fair labour, ethical business, and environmental responsibility (ISO 14001).
- Klean Kanteen staff are given 24 hours of volunteer time annually to support diverse nonprofits in the community.
- Certified B Corp
- 1% For The Planet member – Klean has given $2.7M to various NGO’s via 1% for the Planet since 2008.
- Support organisations doing vital work in areas of: plastic pollution, safe consumer products, land & water conservation, environmental stewardship.
- Partner with 5 Gyres, a global leader in the effort to research aquatic plastic pollution—and advocate for and restore healthy, plastic-free oceans.
- Support the Breast Cancer Prevention Partners mission to eliminate environmental toxins that have been linked to breast cancer.
- Partner with Environmental Working Group
- In 2020, Klean will be certified “Climate Neutral” via a 3rdparty certification, much like 1% FTP and BCorp.
“Klean Kanteen’s Insulated Food Canister is just the right size for taking a hot lunch with you on the go – whether it be a soup to work with you in winter or a hot meal on a hike. Built to last with a stylish brushed stainess steel exterior and double wall vacuum insulation, this can keep things hot for 8 hours or cold for 8 hours which is amazing! To get to those extreme numbers though, I did find it necessary to rinse the inside with boiling water or put the canister in the fridge before filling. So lovely to have a hot meal all ready to go hours after it was prepared! I also used this with some ice cold watermelon on a hot day and it had been absolutely hours since I’d packed it and yet it was still so cold and refreshing.
This food canister has quite a wide lid. Little adult hands can open it, but I think it could be pretty tough for a child. The inside of the lid is a safe plastic, which isn’t my favourite material for being in contact with hot liquids, but hasn’t been shown to be harmful either. The company used to make the lids with stainless steel on the inside, though apparently the insulation wasn’t as good which is a pity, but it seems it was a necessary compromise for such a high performance. I love that the inside insulation of this lid is recycled cardboard instead of foam, which is a much more eco-friendly option. The canister is super easy to clean and also includes a tag area to write on it with a grease pencil.
If you are wanting to take a hot lunch to work, this canister is a stylish and very effective non-toxic option.”