AUSTRALIAN NON-TOXIC AWARD
FINALIST – Personal Care Category
Biome – Bamboo Adult Toothbrush
Very good. MOSO bamboo. PBT bristles.
Social Responsibility Summary:
- Every product at Biome is free from all known or suspected toxins
- Made without exploitation or harm to people or animals
- Only stock products longer lasting than the alternative, thus saving resources and pollution
- B Corporation certification
- GreenPower for locations, plus energy efficient lighting
- Offset online shipping’s environmental impact by donating to Greening Australia’s Reef Aid program
- In store recycling program
- Re-using of all materials for packing orders in warehouse
- Fitting out stores with recycled, repurposed, and no VOC materials
- Seek packaging free products from suppliers
- Very strict standards on products stocked- from ingredients to biodegradability, sustainability and less carbon miles.
- A huge list of environmental and community organisations supported over the years including donations to many school waste free lunch and composting programs as well as the Ipswich Koala Protection Society.
- Australian business
“Biome’s Bamboo Toothbrush is a beautifully minimalist solution to plastic toothbrush waste. I love that the handle is made from heat treated bamboo with no varnish and that the bristles are pressed in rather than glued. This toothbrush is comfortable to hold and once you get used to the wood feeling in your mouth, very pleasant and efficient to use. My teeth felt really clean and the bristles were nice and soft.
Being made of bamboo and porous, it is important to air dry the brush between uses. After 2-3 months of use when the bristles are frayed, you simply snap off the head and compost the handle. The bristles are made of PBT. It’s seen as a safe plastic, but has some question marks around it in relation to leaching at high temperatures when left in liquids for a long time. This is not relevant for how we use toothbrush bristles and I feel totally comfortable recommending this toothbrush and using it for my family.
This toothbrush not only gives such a great clean that you don’t miss your old plastic toothbrush, but it saves a lot of plastic going to landfill over the years. I’ll definitely continue with these.”
“I’ve found bamboo toothbrushes to often have rough, hard bristles. The Biome tooth brush is so soft and gentle on your teeth and gums. Makes cleaning easy and it really improves the foaming nature of natural toothpaste. It left my mouth feeling gently cleaned. A great low waste option as the bamboo handle can be composted at the end of its life-cycle.
Size: Regular toothbrush size
Main Ingredients: Bamboo
Organic Ingredients: No
Australian Owned / Operated: Yes
Australian Made: No
“I was already using a bamboo toothbrush when this little beauty landed on my desk, so what intrigues me most about it is its bristles. Most toothbrush bristles are made of nylon, while this toothbrush’s bristles are made of PBT (polybutylene terephthalate). No, it’s not biodegradable, but Biome claims that it is a lot hardier than Nylon, which therefore extends the longevity of the toothbrush.
After one month of use, I can confirm that its bristles are in much better shape than my previous toothbrushes (and I usually use medium whereas this is soft). The other great thing is it’s much easier to clean this toothbrush after use – food slides straight out. Admittedly a couple of bristles are longer than others but nothing has come lose. The toothbrush itself is an elegant shape. I also love Biome’s pledge to continue to support and search for compostable bristle solutions.”
“From just $3.95 you can replace your plastic toothbrush with a sustainable toothbrush from Biome. It is made with a biodegradable bamboo handle & comes packaged in a brown recyclable box. The brush head is firm & works to polish & clean the teeth. I love that this brush is plastic-free & biodegradable, this is a huge benefit for the planet. Having used bamboo brushes & all-Natural toothpaste for over 5 years now, at some stage I was expecting that maybe my oral hygiene may suffer & a few nasty holes would pop up. But this is not the case! I have not had any issues whatsoever with my teeth. My dentist was surprised as well – make the switch to a bamboo toothbrush & quit using unnecessary plastics.”
“Very light. Although for me I do like a slightly harder bristle. I will definitely look into this and replace my plastic toothbrushes with this awesome Bamboo one.”